San Diego Division Zoom Fall Meet
Saturday, November 14, 2020, 01:00pm - 02:30pm
- Layout Tour: The layout tour will be presented by the San Diego Model Railroad Museum (located in Balboa Park which is just minutes away from downtown San Diego, California, USA) and will be an overview of the museum.
- The museum is home to four model railroad clubs and is a favorite for locals and tourists when visiting San Diego.
- At 27,000 square feet, the San Diego Model Railroad Museum is the largest such indoor exhibit in North America, and one of the largest in the world. Nearly three million people have passed through the center since it opened in 1982.
- There are two massive HO scale layouts, one operated by the La Mesa Model Railroad Club, and the other is operated by the San Diego Model Railroad Association. The N scale layout is operated by the San Diego Society of N Scale. An O scale layout is also operated by the San Diego Model Railroad Association. The Lionel type 3-Rail O gauge Toy Train gallery is operated by the San Diego 3-Railer Club. And last but not least is the G scale garden railroad, The Centennial Railway Garden, (located outside, in the back of the museum) was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Balboa Park in 2015. The G scale garden railroad is modeled after Balboa Park as it existed in 1915.
- The San Diego Model Railroad Museum opened in 1982 with a mission to preserve the heritage of railroading through a series of miniature representations of California railroads, research and preserve the history of model railroading, and educate the public in the many different aspects of railroading.
- Balboa Park is a 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) historic urban cultural park in San Diego, California, United States. In addition to open space areas, natural vegetation zones, green belts, gardens, and walking paths, it contains museums, several theaters, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo. There are also many recreational facilities and several gift shops and restaurants within the boundaries of the park. Placed in reserve in 1835, the park's site is one of the oldest in the United States dedicated to public recreational use.
- As of September 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the museum has limited visitor's hours, which are Friday through Sunday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The museum is closed Monday through Thursday. The museum is on the lower level of the Casa de Balboa Building on the Prado, in Balboa Park.
- The San Diego Model Railroad Museum is a 501(c)(3) organization non-profit charity.
- Clinic: The clinic is titled, "How to Make Your Own Resistor Wheels" by Pete Steinmetz, Pacific Southwest Region, San Diego Division Director, National Model Railroad Association. The reason for the clinic is that many clubs and layouts require rail cars to be equipped with resistor wheelsets so that scale signaling will work correctly on a layout using block signaling. This clinic will help you learn how to install your own resistors on rail car wheelsets.
- It can be noted that powered locomotives, lighted passenger cars, a boxcar with sound or lights, or a caboose with lights and sound, don't need resistor wheelsets since they are already powered by the track.
- Buying premade wheelsets with resistors is expensive and making your own wheelsets with resistors saves a lot of money.
- Pete will show proven techniques on how to make resistor wheelsets for your rolling stock.
- The clinic demonstration will be in HO Scale but the technique can be used for any model railroad scale.
- Pete will not be explaining the technology used with resistor wheelsets, just how to build them.
- The clinic is approximately 30 minutes.
For more information, please visit https://www.sandiegodivision.org/index.php/events.