The PSR Online Forums are now active!

To become a member of this forum, you must:
1. Be a member of the NMRA - all members are welcome, but some forums at the Division level are restricted to those Division members.
2. Register using the Registration Process. During that process provide the following information: a) NMRA Region you belong to, b) if you are a member of the PSR, you must enter your Division so that you can access restricted areas of your Division forums, c) you MUST use the email address that is on file with the NMRA in your membership record, d) you must maintain your NMRA membership in a current status.
3. Your application will be confirmed against the current NMRA membership rosters. Assuming you meet the criteria, you will be granted access to use both public and restricted forums.

Webmaster - Pacific Southwest Region, NMRA

May 2017 Report

L.A. Division Director Report to the PSR
Pat Raymer - Director
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
psrdispatch
LOCATION (Required): Southwest US
Name (Required): Dispatch Editor
Division (Required): PSR board position
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

May 2017 Report

Postby psrdispatch » Sun May 21, 2017 8:58 am

In my last article for the Dispatch, I mentioned that I would report on the outcome of our planned partnership with a local model railroad club. A lot has occurred since then, so I will give an accounting in chronological order:
Our SpringRail event on March 18th was very successful. The new venue in Whittier was perfect for our event, and we are going to be returning there for our SpringRail 2018 next year. We had good attendance, and received a lot of positive feedback. Our swap meet vendors were very satisfied and reported good sales. One highlight of the event was the clinic presented by Steve Crise on lighting your layout for photography. We gained 2 new members at this event.
A small contingent of L.A. Division members attended the Temecula meet on April 1st. This is always a fun event for us, playing bingo on Friday night and enjoying all the activities on Saturday. The mid-year PSR Board of Directors meeting was, in my opinion, very productive. Particularly interesting were the new grant program and recruitment incentive program.
Next it was off to Bakersfield for the PCR Regional convention hosted by the Daylight Division. There were a good number of PSR members that attended, including PSR President Don Fowler and PSR Vice-President Ben Sevier. From the L.A. Division board were myself, Superintendent Mike O’Brien, and Chief Clerk/Paymaster James Keena, who is also the new PSR contest chairman. It is always interesting to see how other regions conduct their convention. I highly recommend giving it a try!
Now, about our first partnership with a model railroad club this year. We were able to set up a membership recruitment table at the Glendale Model Railroad Society’s open house on April 29th. Unfortunately, I was out of town that weekend and was unable to see first-hand how it went. From all reports, everything went smoothly. The club had about 25 visitors during the period we were set up. Now that the ice is broken with them, we can pursue a continuing presence there. I would like to thank them for their hospitality.
On May 7th we attended the first Hobby& Collectors Expo, sponsored by JD Hobbies (a general hobby store located in San Pedro) and Tamiya. The expo represented a variety of hobby interests. This event was held at the battleship USS Iowa, located at San Pedro harbor. The USS Iowa is a floating museum, and an unusual venue for such an event. Louis Lee, the owner of JD Hobbies, arranged for a 3 plane flyover, firing one of the 5 inch guns, and a fireboat display next to the ship. Hundreds of people attended the expo, and there are plans to hold this event again in the future. We had a booth on the dock adjacent to the ship, and there were many visitors. Per Harwe from Cajon Division shared our booth to promote the upcoming PSR convention “Ontario Manifest”
Our next venture out is the Great Train Show, July 8th and 9th at the Pomona Fairplex. Come by and visit us at our booth!
We are still planning to co-host an event with the California Southern Railroad club in Norwalk, date to be announced.
Pat Raymer
Editor
PSR Dispatch
Pacific Southwest Region - NMRA